Sunday, March 2, 2008

Car Problems

Okay, Chase really does not enjoy being in the car. We've been struggling with this problem for a while, but it's starting to get out of control. I tell everybody it's like a scene from The Exorcist...Chase starts screaming, pulling at his seat belt, kicking his feet, shaking his head and usually gets himself so worked up that he ends up vomitting all over himself and the car.

I've tried everything I can think of....music, singing, rolling down the windows, juice, snacks, his blankie, sitting in the back seat next to him, taking off his clothes so he doesn't feel so restricted, we even bought a portable DVD player today and played Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for him on the way to and from Taylor's birthday party today.

NOTHING IS WORKING! The ride home from Biloxi today was miserable for all three of us. Nothing we could do would calm Chase down. It's not like we can keep him out of the car....so does anyone have any other suggestions??

Here's a glimpse of our car rides:

9 comments:

Julie and Tory said...

Yea, that really sucks. I can't believe the T.V. didn't work. I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe he would like a different type of carseat.

Bridget said...

I was thinking another carseat too.

Do you think he's getting carsick? I know he's had ear inner ear issues in the past. Maybe he's feeling sick when he's in the car. Have you talked to his pedi about it?

good luck! that's rough.

christy said...

i agree with bridget, maybe he's carsick. brandi has this same problem with brady and she has to give him something for motion sickness every time they get in the car bc if they go over 30mph, he throws up. i'll ask her what it is and let you know. it could also be his ears. doesn't he have tubes? maybe they need to be replaced? i don't know, just throwing that out there.

Adrienne said...

I wish I had an idea for you. Kaden has been fussing in the car a lot lately too. I couldn't go anywhere for anything without him driving me crazy. For me, there is one CD that he will quiet for (most of the time). That drives me crazy too b/c i can't listen to it anymore. I asked the doc about it at his check up and she told me it's just his age. That he's at the age that they want to control everything and do what they want, when they want. I agree with the others though. Since he does have a history of ear problems, I'd check that out or the carsickness. Hope it gets better soon!

Jennifer Walker said...

Jack was awful in the car for a long time, but he never threw up. If he was awake, he was screaming. He is soooo much better now. He got much better between 18 months and two-years-old.

I'd check the motion sickness thing. We also had a CD that had a "now it's time to rest" song that sometimes helped to calm him down too. Not that you want to bribe him every time he melts down like that, but what about trying a sucker, if you feel it's safe to try in the car. It might distract him enough and buy you a little more time.

NIKKI said...

Yikes Michele..I wish I had some ideas for you. Mine have never had that one...maybe try asking the play group yahoo group too...

That seems miserable for everyone involved. Hope you can find something that works...

lenee said...

WHAT the HECK? Is this what I have to look forward to? Bless you Michele!

steele family said...

yikes! i have no suggestions for you. all i can say is that i will pray.

gina said...

you are brave to video that! by the way, he is looking so grown up in that "Big Boy" photo. So handsome, too.