Friday, December 19, 2008

Rough Week

Where to begin...

Monday morning I woke up feeling horrible and began running a high fever of 102. I assumed I had the flu. By Tuesday I was hurting all over my entire body and my fever wasn't breaking. So I called my OB/GYN and she urged me to go see my primary care physician because they were uncomfortable with me running the high fever.

I ended up going to the Urgent Care near my house. SEVERAL blood test, swab tests and an ultrasound of my legs plus another full day later, we find out that I do not have the flu nor mono nor a blood clot in my legs. My white blood cell count is high and all they can figure is that I have some nasty infection that is still causing me to have this high fever 4 days in a row. They give me some antibotics and things start feeling better quickly.

However, last night I noticed that my stomach kept tightening for brief periods with a slight pressure in my lower abdomen. After talking to Shane and my sister who used to work in L&D, I finally decided to go to the ER just to make sure I wasn't having any contractions. I didn't even drive out to Slidell where I plan to deliver and where my doctor is located. I just went to the hospital right by my house because at 26 weeks, I was sure they were going to laugh at me and send me home.

When they hooked me up to the monitors, we found out that I was in preterm labor, having contractions every 2-6 minutes and was 1 cm dilated. The contractions became more regular while I was there, but the on call doctor assured me that I wasn't going to have the baby that night and he thought it would be best if I went to see my doctor first thing the next morning and was under her care.

So today my mom took me to my doctor’s office in Slidell where they immediately sent us to the hospital. Same situation, I was still having contractions and still dilated 1 cm. They monitored baby and me for a while and then decided to give me a shot of Breathine (sp?) to slow/cease the contractions. Thirty minutes later they gave me a second shot of the same medicine. Thirty minutes later they gave me the oral pill version of the same medicine and monitored baby and me for 2 more hours.

I only had about 2-3 more contractions since the first shot, so I seemed to be responding to the medicine pretty well. The main concern was my heart rate, but as long as it stays under 130 I’m okay.

So I was sent home with strict instructions to take this same medicine every four hours around the clock (yes, I have to set my alarm at night to take this pill that makes me wired). They said their goal is to get me to 36 weeks, but we’ll just take it one week at a time and that I really need to rest and take it easy.

I don’t know if I’m just naïve, but I really thought I was going to get one shot and then everything was going to be better. I had no idea how serious this was. But for now, baby and me are doing great and we’re going to take things slow. Shane and I are going to have a little talk with our peanut tonight on why he needs to stay in my belly for a few more months :-)

The good news is that they said the baby was responding well to my contractions and he was still very active...he's such a strong boy!

Phew, I think (and pray) that's it for a while!

P.S. Thank you so much to my loving family for all of your help this week. Shane was on total daddy patrol, my mom drove me and stayed with me for all of my doctor's and hospital visits and Shane's mom watched Chase for me several days. And my sister Lindsey was the one who finally talked me into going to the hospital in the first place (early enoguh to stop the contractions before I dilated anymore). I really could not have gotten through this week without all of you! I love you!

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Keep us posted on how you and the baby are doing and let us know if you need anything!

Adrienne said...

Definitely take it easy! Sorry this happened to you though. I know it's scary. Hope you are feeling better.

christy said...

so now you have to take it easy. the good thing is that if the baby were to come early, at least you've had a couple of doses of brethine which makes all the difference in the world. it causes the babies lungs to mature faster and there is a huge difference in the babies that have it and those who don't. if you need any help with chase let me know and he can come over here. take care of yourself and the little peanut!

Adrienne said...

Hey, I was wondering where you found the bedding for Chase's big boy bed? I've been looking for something if we make Kaden's bed into a full size.

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I got all of his bedding from Target. I've been looking at it for a while, so I don't think it's going to be discontinued any time soon.

I did read a lot of the reviews on the bedding before I bought it and a lot of customers said they material of the quilt was better than the comforter, so we went with the quilt. Just an FYI...

JStraughan said...

I wish I could be there to help--or add to the chaos, but either way--I wish I was there.

You are in my prayers; tell little peanut not to be so freakin'impatient, he has to wait like everyone else.

WOW--another Irish temper---holy #&*$

Sherry said...

I feel your pain, Michele. It is really scary when these things happen so "early" in the pregnancy. I was only 28 weeks and I was freaking out! We had a talk with Walker, too, about staying inside until at least 35 - 36 weeks :) Good luck and my prayers are with you!

NIKKI said...

Oh Michele..I've been there.... You need to take it SUPER easy!!! Let me know if you need help with Chase. The girls would LOVE for him to come play!!
SERIOUSLY don't think twice about picking up the phone for any kind of help!!
Keep that little one a cookin!!
Nikki

Bridget said...

Oh Michele! Scary night! My mom had the same thing happen with her second... was on meds around the clock from 5months on.... and was instructed to drink a "pony beer a day" lol. My poor mom hates beer.. she had to plug her nose and chug it. Can you imagine? The things they did back in the day!
Will be praying for term babies ... you '09 babies are sure stressing out your momma's ... what does that mean for the teen years? hmmmm?

Bridget said...

(I won't tell you what a PITA that brother was as a teen for my mom)

kasey said...

Oh my goodness, I will keep you and the little peanut in our prayers, please take it easy! And if I can do anything to help, I will, please dont hesitate to ask! Love ya! Merry Christmas!

Julie and Tory said...

You better take it easy. Let me know if you need me to help you with some Christmas shopping.

Anonymous said...

You're blessed to have such a wonderful family. I am glad you and baby seem to be responding well to the meds. I will keep you in my prayers.

steele family said...

Oh Michele, I am praying for you guys! I am so sorry this is happening. I hope things go smoother for the rest of your pregnancy.