Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Couch Potato?

As some of you know, as a baby Chase would not watch one second of television. Call me a horrible mother, but I tried so hard to get him to watch just 20 minutes of anything so I could get things done around the house. We had every single Baby Einstein DVD and tried all the other shows that my other mommy friends swore by. Nothing worked! I remember my sister being able to put her daughter (who is only 6 weeks older that Chase) in her bouncy seat with Baby Einstein on and she would be perfectly content...I used to pray for that!

It was about 1 year ago (for Taylor Jernigan's 2nd birthday), we bought a DVD player for the car to help out with our car rides (Chase threw massive fits in the car that always led to several spouts of vomiting and mad chaos). We thought maybe the DVD player might calm him down in the car. It took a long time, but eventually it helped for our longer car rides, and then Chase started to like cartoons.

Now a year later, I think I've created a couch potato! If there is a show on tv that he really likes (Max & Ruby, Mickey Mouse Club House or Wuzby to name a few), you can't even talk to him because he's so engrossed in the show. He loves his cartoons, but fortunately I can still get him away from the TV for some outside play or to read some books (just not while the show is still on)!

So I think I taught my child a bad habit, but to be honest, it really does make life a lot easier and I'm able to make dinner or take a shower without a screaming child, so I'm not too upset about it...just as long as Shane and I can keep it under control. Plus it always cracks me up to see how relaxed Chase is while kicked back on the sofa watching his show :-)

Here are some pics of my couch potato. The last pic was him trying to see the tv over my head while taking the picture.




Like Father, Like Son: Chase is picking his nose, watching tv and making poo poo all at the same time!

6 comments:

christy said...

baby einstein videos are just a marketing scam. they didn't work for either of mine. however, noggin works like a charm. my fave pic is chase picking his nose. you ought to do a side by side comparison pic with shane doing the same:) however, shane should know better, chase is only 2!

Adrienne said...

I don't think Kaden really got interested in TV until last summer. He loves Playhouse Disney in the morning and for a while that was it. Now he has gotten into movies and asks to watch movies all day every day. So we've been trying to keep a limit on watching that much. But I hear you, it's so nice to do something while he's busy.

Anonymous said...

We love Noggin in our house too!

Shane should be proud of his son - he's multitasking!

lenee said...

I love how he lays back with his hands behind his head. So sweet.

kasey said...

LMAO! That is so funny! Ryan loves tv too....oh well, what ya going to do right!

NIKKI said...

LOl! Love the picture of his finger up his nose!
I knew one day he would like watching TV! Makes life sooo much easier!