Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The $500 Lima Bean!


Well, Chase found another way to scare me. Tonight we took a trip to the ER.

Earlier this evening Chase was eating his dinner. He was eating chicken pasta and lima beans. While I was cleaning the kitchen I heard him say (very proudly), "Look Mamma". He had shoved a lima bean up his nose!

No, I am not making this up...this really did happen.

After several failed attempts of trying to dislodge the bean myself (tweezers, suction bulb, trying to het him to blow), I finally decided it was time to take Chase to the ER. He kept sticking his finger up his nose (shoving the bean even higher) crying "My nose, my nose". At this point the bean was so high up, I couldn't even see it anymore.

The doctor first had me hold close his open nostril and blow in Chase's mouth to mimic CPR in hopes that the lima bean would shoot out. A couple of tries of this process not working and Chase is beyond kicking and screaming at this point. It took me, the doctor and 2 nurses to hold him down.

The doctor then decided to put Chase in the pappoose (sp?)...the thing that looks like a child's straight jacket. Chase totally freaked out, but luckily the doctor got the bean out in about 10 seconds. With a few quick moves (and the right instruments) the doctor pulled out the bean and placed it on the table.

As I held Chase trying to calm him down, I stared down at that rather large lima bean thinking to myself that it could be the most expensive lima bean in the world. That thing gave me a heart attack, caused Chase a lot of pain and costs us a $500 ER visit.

And that's the story of the $500 lima bean!

14 comments:

The Abney Family said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. Maybe he'll remember not to do that anymore... at least for a little while :)

christy said...

just when you think you're safe... chase has other plans. on a side note, i would blame this on shane, since chase learned how to stick his finger up his nose constantly from him.

christy said...

oh- one more thing. remember when we took conner to the ER not too long ago, you said it wouldn't be long before y'all would be back- and you were right!!

Jamie said...

Never a dull moment in the life of Chase. Glad the doctor was able to get it out.

steele family said...

Who would have thought that we would both be at the ER last night! I am so glad the lima bean is out, I sure hope he remembers what that was like and never does it again!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad he's okay. I hope girls are easier :-)

JStraughan said...

That is HILARIOUS!! I mean we're glad he's OK, but you couldn't ask for a better story!!

I'm SOOOO glad God gave you that little rascal---you know, since He decided to give ME "Michele Junior"

Bridget said...

Oh no! You know what's worse... the 9 yr olds who do it.. you would be amazed by what we see in the clinic.
Hope this is Chases last ED visit. He's quite the eventful child! ;)

Julie and Tory said...

Poor litte man! Sound like a fun night in the McCarthy house.

Sherry said...

You have a lot of stories from Chase but I think that this one takes the cake or should I say bean? You will talk about this for years to come!

Justin and Lisa Rhodes said...

That is too funny! Never a dull moment..
Lisa

Jennifer Walker said...

So Michele, will you ever serve lima beans again???

NIKKI said...

Oh Chase...that is tooo funny!!!!
I know the straight jacket thing is not fun..at least it only took 10 seconds.
Hopefully he won't stick anything else up his nose!

lenee said...

Chase has some good stuff in his bag of tricks, he never ceases to amuse me.