Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Huge News!

Yesterday, Shane and I had our big 20 week ultrasound and doctor's appointment.
And the emotional rollercoaster goes like this...

During the ultrasound, I told the ultrasound tech that we do not want to know the sex of the baby, we do not want our doctor to know, do not write the sex down in our file and please refer to the baby as a "he" during the ultrasound to eliminate any confusion.

The ultrasound goes great. Our little peanut is measuring at exactly our due date of March 27th, has two hands, two feet, two eyes and a cute nose! It was so amazing! She said that everything looked wonderful and the baby is weighing in at 10.5 ounces!

After the ultrasound we went into the exam room for my appointment. The nurse who usually works is not there, so they have someone who normally works the front desk filling in for her. She came into the room, opened my file and saw a Christmas card with a picture of Chase. She said, "Oh, I see you already have a beautiful little boy. And now you're going to have a girl".

WHAT?!?!?! I immediately started crying and Shane was in a state of shock. The poor nurse felt so bad, she had no idea we didn't want to know the sex of the baby. After I get over the shock of just finding out, I become a bit more emotional, elated at the fact that the McCarthy's are going to finally have a girl! Shane's first reaction was, "Oh my gosh, this is going to be so expensive"!

I heard the nurse go into my doctor's office where she opened my file and said, "Oh, they are going to have a girl". The nurse replied by telling my doctor that we didn't want to know and that I was crying in the other room. My doctor called us into her office.

She told me that we still didn't know the sex of the baby and that the automatic default for the ultrasound was female and that's why our file said girl. Normally the ultrasound tech has to initial the sex, but she did not in our case. Nor did she take any pictures of the genitalia area. My doctor tried to assure us that we still did not know the sex of the baby.

Shane and I started to leave the office feeling like we just got hit with a truck. We are now thinking that this is a horrible cover up story and they are just trying to make us feel better. Neither one of us wanted it to happen this way, and at this point we feel like we need to find out for sure what is going on to settle me down.

So we head back into the office and the ultrasound tech was at the front desk. We told her what happened and said that we wanted to know for sure what the sex was. She said with a smile, “Okay, it’s a boy…clear as day”!

So that is the story of how we unfortunately found out the sex of our little peanut and I cannot believe we are having another boy! Shane is relieved and now I am in a state of shock! I can’t believe I will have two boys!

I still feel very disappointed that we now know the baby’s sex, but I am elated to know that my family is expanding and everything looked great with our little peanut!

Here are the two ultrasound pics they sent home with us. The top picture is a front view where you can see his two eyes and nose. The bottom picture is a side view of our precious baby! We do not currently have an “It’s a boy” pic because we weren’t supposed to know. Hopefully for my next appointment they can squeeze me in and give me a confirmation pic.
Click on the pic get a closer view of our baby boy!

14 comments:

Jamie said...

WOW...not the best way to find out but at least he's healthy! Congrats on ANOTHER boy!

Adrienne said...

I'm so sorry it happened that way! Congrats on the baby boy, he's adorable!! Glad he's doing well too. You can always keep his name a secret til the end. I've had friends do that since they were just dying to know what they were having.

christy said...

i think it's just a cover up. believe me, the tech knew what happened and she probably said she would say it's a boy and when you deliver it will be a girl and you'll still have your surprise and all will be forgiven. they got together and came up with a story. i know i refer to all babies where i work as a "he" even though i know it's a girl. alot of people in that field refer to all babies as one sex or the other not meaning to. i still say girl!!

JStraughan said...

I agree with Carrie--I think it's a big conspiracy. I wouldn't start buying the boy clothes just yet.

One thing's for certain--he's definitely a McCarthy--check out that forehead!!!!

Either way. . .I'll be happy to welcome a niece or nephew in March!!

NIKKI said...

Well it's not the way you wanted to find out, but you will definitely have a story to tell him later.
CONGRATS!! So glad everything is going so well.

Stephanie said...

Congrats either way. At least you know you are having a healthy beautiful baby regardless of the sex!

Bridget said...

Oh !!! I would have so made them take an under shot to confirm... how sketchy is this! Congrats ... either way you will have another beautiful baby this spring!

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe it, that is such a terrible story - definetly one for the baby book. I will feel more sure about it once I see the genital pics.

I asked Jalyn what she thought you were having and she, without a doubt, guessed a boy.

Congrats! We can't wait to meet the little one!

Andi said...

WOW!! What a story....definitely one for the baby books. I agree, I wouldn't buy anything until I had "confirmation" pics. Something very similar to this happened to one of my friends and the nurse tried to cover it up and tell her she was just kidding and it really was another boy, not a girl....come to find out she was wrong. It was a girl! Glad to know that he (or she) looks good and is completely healthy!!

Jennifer Walker said...

I'm sure that's the last time she will ever open her big mouth without asking first. Sorry you had to find out that way. I feel like finding out is something you have to be prepared for - whether you decide to find out at an ultrasound or at delivery, so to find out in that way must have been overwhelming.

Congrats on another boy! Chase will have so much fun with baby boy McCarthy.

Unknown said...

Boy or girl, it looks like you are having a healthy baby! But that was one hell of a ride to put you and Shane through.
Best of luck! I miss you!

Gina Ferrara said...

hey, that's pretty awesome that you're having another boy! i love having two girls close in age who will grow up together. congratulations!

by the way, you look fabulous in your 20 week pic! glad you're feeling great.

Gina Ferrara said...

okay, i guess i'm naive after reading your comments. maybe you are having a girl?? being a perilloux, a girl is bound to come from you this time or the next...:)

kasey said...

Holy cow what a story the whole time I am reading this I am like I cant believe they told them, but yeah a girl...girls are so special! And then come to find out its a boy! LOL...what a story you have to tell him when he gets older! Congrats!